Creating Melodies is a companion to our book Creating Rhythms. The book will show you how to explore the infinite space of melodies.
Like the rhythms book, it comes with software that you can download. With the software you can generate countless new melodies and variations on old ones. Combine those melodies with rhythms from our rhythms book and you have an endless source of inspiration for new music.
We had a lot of fun writing this book. In fact it took us so long to write it because it was hard to tear ourselves away from creating so much interesting new music and write up the results. Now you can have fun with it too!
You can listen to the many example melodies in this book as MIDI and MP3 files. Here are some video examples:
About the authors:
Stefan Hollos and J. Richard Hollos are physicists by training. In addition to math and physics, they enjoy creating music and visual art, and being in the great outdoors. They are the authors of:
- Hexagonal Tilings and Patterns
- Combinatorics II Problems and Solutions: Counting Patterns
- Information Theory: A Concise Introduction
- Recursive Digital Filters: A Concise Guide
- Art of Pi
- Creating Noise
- Art of the Golden Ratio
- Creating Rhythms
- Pattern Generation for Computational Art
- Finite Automata and Regular Expressions: Problems and Solutions
- Probability Problems and Solutions
- Combinatorics Problems and Solutions
- The Coin Toss: Probabilities and Patterns
- Pairs Trading: A Bayesian Example
- Bet Smart: The Kelly System for Gambling and Investing
- Signals from the Subatomic World: How to Build a Proton Precession Magnetometer
Send comments to: Richard Hollos (richard[AT]exstrom DOT com)
Copyright 2018 by Exstrom Laboratories LLC